- Business Management
- Assoc Professor Ciaran Heavey
Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
• Further enhance strategic thinking and analysis skills;
• Critically evaluate the appropriateness of a firm’s competitive, international, and corporate strategy with logical arguments and relevant terminology;
• Develop an appreciation of the principal ways firms can create value from cross-border activities;
• Develop an understanding of how firms create value from location choices and the sharing and transfer of knowledge and resources across borders;
• Evaluate the relationship between diversification, risk, and firm performance;
• Enhance participants’ abilities to evaluate M&A activity;
• Develop an understanding of the main analytical techniques and conceptual frameworks to manage diversified firms;
• Critically evaluate the unique requirements of strategy in a digital context, one in which platforms can dominate products;
• Critically appreciate the role of strategic leaders in multinational corporations.
The module is split into two major thrusts. The first thrust is global strategy, which will include coverage of the value-added of international strategies, location-based advantage, alternative global positioning strategies, strategy in emerging markets, and innovation in multinational corporations. We will also examine platform strategies and their role in emerging markets. The second major thrust will be corporate strategy, with particular focus on vertical and horizontal diversification and related M&A activity. Then, we will look at how diversified companies, such as Danaher and General Electric are managed.
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Not applicable to this module.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Examination: Final examination (online)||2 hour End of Trimester Exam||Yes||Graded||No||
|Continuous Assessment: Class Participation||Throughout the Trimester||n/a||Graded||No||
|Group Project: Weekly case assignments||Throughout the Trimester||n/a||Graded||No||
|Remediation Type||Remediation Timing|
|In-Module Resit||Prior to relevant Programme Exam Board|
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
Not yet recorded.
|Ms Ros Beere||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|