Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On successful completion of the module students should be able to:
1. Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the molecular mechanisms of proteinopathy in neurodegenerative diseases.
2. Discuss in depth the role of protein aggregation and failed protein clearance in neurodegenerative proteinopathies.
3. Critically evaluate recent research findings into the molecula, genetic and cellular disruptions which underpin these disorders.
4. Demonstrate an understanding of the developments in novel therapeutic strategies for neurodegenerative proteinopathies.
Lectures 1+2 – Huntington protein (NO'S)
Lectures 3+4 – Motor neuron disease (NO'S)
Lecture 5 – Developing therapies for neurodegenerative proteinopathies I (NO'S)
Lecture 6 – Prion Neuroproteinopathies (MS)
Lectures 7+8 – Alzheimer's (MS)
Lectures 9+10 –Parkinson's disease (MS)
Lecture 11 – Prion-like mechanisms in neurodegeration (MS)
Lecture 12 – Developing therapies for neurodegenerative proteinopathies II (NO'S)
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Autonomous Student Learning||
A basic understanding of biochemistry and cell biology is recommended.
|Resit In||Terminal Exam|
|Spring||Yes - 2 Hour|
• Feedback individually to students, on an activity or draft prior to summative assessment
• Group/class feedback, post-assessment
Students are invited to submit a draft answer to a sample question. This is corrected by the lecturer and returned to the student with comments on what they did well and where they can improve. At the end of the module there is a tutorial where the class divides into groups and gives feedback on draft sample answers and ask any questions they may have on how to approach the final exam.
|Dr Gary Brennan||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Dr Niamh O'Sullivan||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Professor Mike Scott||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 5, 6, 7, 8, 9||Thurs 12:00 - 12:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 5, 6, 7, 8, 9||Tues 11:00 - 11:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 5, 6, 7, 8, 9||Wed 10:00 - 10:50|