Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On completion of this module, students will be enabled to:
1. Critically reflect on the sequencing of mathematical content as relevant to post-primary students’ learning.
2. Select, devise, or modify mathematical tasks aligned to specifically constructed learning objectives in planning.
3. Plan, conduct/observe and reflect on teaching and learning as part of individual micro-teaching and as part of a collaborative lesson study group.
4. Engage with research on mathematics education and incorporate this research into planning and reflecting on teaching and learning.
5. Discuss the affective issues related to learning mathematics
6. Reference specified mathematics curricula as relevant to planning mathematics lessons.
7. Reflect on the development of their pedagogical content knowledge as beginning teachers of mathematics at post-primary level.
8. Reflect on and describe their beliefs about mathematics teaching and learning as pre-service post-primary teachers.
9. Reflect on and describe their identities as pre-service post-primary teachers.
Mathematical Knowledge for Teaching
Pedagogical content knowledge
Sequencing student learning
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Specified Learning Activities||
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Students should have participated in MATH10410.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Assignment: Lesson Study||Varies over the Trimester||n/a||Graded||No||
|Continuous Assessment: Reflective Journal||Throughout the Trimester||n/a||Graded||No||
|Essay: Reflection on Pedagogy||Coursework (End of Trimester)||n/a||Graded||No||
|Practical Examination: MicroTeach||Week 2||n/a||Graded||No||
|Remediation Type||Remediation Timing|
|In-Module Resit||Prior to relevant Programme Exam Board|
• Feedback individually to students, on an activity or draft prior to summative assessment
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
• Group/class feedback, post-assessment
• Peer review activities
• Self-assessment activities
Not yet recorded.
|Dr Mary Cunneen||Tutor|
|Tutorial||Offering 1||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Mon 15:00 - 15:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Thurs 14:00 - 14:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Wed 11:00 - 11:50|