Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On successful completion of this module, students should be able to:
- place selected literary works in their historical context;
- comprehend the content of Italian literary texts of low-medium difficulty;
- apply improved reading techniques, an effective use of the dictionary, and strategies for developing the passive vocabulary;
- evidence their understanding of read passages by answering questions of linguistic and cultural / literary nature.
The module introduces excerpts from 4 texts taken from 19th- and 20th-century Italian literature: Pirandello's play 'Il berretto a sonagli' and his short story 'la carriola', Manzoni's novel 'I promessi sposi', and De Roberto's story 'La paura'. Excerpts are of 5-10 pages for prose works, a longer for the play. Class work involves reading parts of the texts with a view to developing reading abilities: vocabulary is developed, but even without getting all the words, the structures are highlighted so that students can learn how to come to grips with complex structures, getting the gist without being bogged down by the need to translate everything.
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Seminar (or Webinar)||
|Specified Learning Activities||
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Students taking this module must have some knowledge of Italian, specifically for the reading ability.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Class Test: Class Tests||Throughout the Trimester||n/a||Not yet recorded||No||
|Examination: online timed (two-hour) exam paper||Week 12||No||Not yet recorded||No||
|Resit In||Terminal Exam|
|Spring||Yes - 2 Hour|
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
• Group/class feedback, post-assessment
Each of the two class tests is discussed in-depth after being corrected; they are prepared by a mock test, which is also discussed.
|Assoc Professor Ursula Fanning||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Dr Francesco Lucioli||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|