Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
This module will provide students with the opportunity to:
•Understand the benefits of completing an internship.
•Develop awareness of their abilities, interests, aptitudes, and relevant occupational opportunities.
•Gain insight into the employability skills sought by graduate recruiters.
•Develop a range of skills that are highly valued in the workplace, including effective communication & teamwork.
•Enhance their networking skills both face to face and by utilising social media.
•Develop an impactful CV and cover letter that will provide the basis for effective internship and graduate job applications.
•Practice their interview techniques by utilising Video Interview technology.
The following topics will be covered as part of this module:
• Introduction to Career Development Planning and Internships
• Internships – Benefits, Researching and Sourcing Internship
• Skills with my degree. Identifying Gaps - where are I now?
• Focus on You: Self Awareness Part 1 Understanding Values and Interests
• Focus on You: Self Awareness Part 2 Understanding Personality type – using TDI personality profiling
• Introduction to the Recruitment Process and Understanding the Employer Perspective
• Effective CV’s and Cover Letters
• Understanding Team work
• Performing effectively at Interview: Developing your interview technique
• Understanding Communication and Presentation Skills
• Networking: Social media and LinkedIn
• Career Action Planning – reflections on learning
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Seminar (or Webinar)||
|Specified Learning Activities||
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Not applicable to this module.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Continuous Assessment: Attendance and participation||Throughout the Trimester||n/a||Pass/Fail Grade Scale||No||
|Assignment: Online mock interview||Unspecified||n/a||Pass/Fail Grade Scale||No||
|Assignment: Written report based on informational interview||Unspecified||n/a||Pass/Fail Grade Scale||No||
|Remediation Type||Remediation Timing|
|In-Module Resit||Prior to relevant Programme Exam Board|
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
• Group/class feedback, post-assessment
• Peer review activities
Online written feedback will be available through Brightspace for each assignment. CVs and some activities will be subject to peer review.
|Assoc Professor Jaime Jones||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Mr Eamonn McHugh||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|