Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On completion of this module students should be able to:
- Understand issues in the scholarly study of transnational migration and important concepts used in that study such as diaspora, transnationalism, and inventing ethnicity
- Place the history of Irish America in the context of that broader study of transnational migration.
- Assess the historiography of Irish America and the primary sources relevant to the module.
- Present aspects of the historical debate about Irish American history orally and engage in discussion.
- Present aspects of the historical debate about Irish American history in written form.
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Seminar (or Webinar)||
|Specified Learning Activities||
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Not applicable to this module.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Assignment: Essay: 1,500 word essay to be submitted by the end of week 7||Week 7||n/a||Graded||No||
|Continuous Assessment: Students are assessed on their participation in weekly seminars.||Throughout the Trimester||n/a||Graded||No||
|Examination: End of semester two-hour exam||2 hour End of Trimester Exam||No||Graded||No||
|Resit In||Terminal Exam|
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
Feedback on the mid-term Essay Assignment is given in writing on the returned hard-copy. Feedback on the two-hour examination will be given by appointment in one-to-one meetings.
|Dr Christopher Prior||Subject Extern Examiner|
|Mr Philip Walsh||Tutor|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Tues 10:00 - 10:50|
|Seminar||Offering 1||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Tues 11:00 - 11:50|
|Seminar||Offering 3||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Tues 12:00 - 12:50|
|Seminar||Offering 4||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Tues 14:00 - 14:50|
|Seminar||Offering 5||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Tues 14:00 - 14:50|
|Seminar||Offering 6||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Tues 15:00 - 15:50|
|Seminar||Offering 7||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Wed 10:00 - 10:50|
|Seminar||Offering 8||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Wed 11:00 - 11:50|
|Seminar||Offering 9||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Wed 12:00 - 12:50|