Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On successful completion of this module, students will be able to
- using clear, coherent and controlled German assimilate the main ideas of relatively complex articles and reports concerned with current affairs, cultural, social and academic issues;
- translate from English into German employing newly-acquired grammatical structures and specific vocabulary;
- express different viewpoints on topics covered;
- write formal letters and emails;
- follow and partake in topical and cultural discussions in preparation for later study or work in a German-speaking environment;
- engage with audio and audio-visual programmes;
- make a recorded short presentation;
- discuss the benefits of and strategies for watching audio-visual material as an aid to language learning;
- build in the feedback from regularly submitted homework and acquire a heightened ability to self-correct.
The module is divided into 3 blocks, each block dealing with the topics and associated grammatical points in selected chapters of "Mittelpunkt neu B2.2", one of which will deal with "Im Ausland studieren".
Regular homework is set and corrected. Assessment involves Brightspace quizzes, a listening comprehension test, an oral assignment, and a 2-hour written exam.
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Specified Learning Activities||
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Students who have not completed the level 1 Spring German-language module must contact the module coordinator.
German of a standard equivalent to level B1.2 of the Common European Framework of Reference.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Examination: Written exam
(Free writing exercise according to guidelines & specified grammar / translation tasks)
|2 hour End of Trimester Exam||No||Graded||No||
|Presentation: Recorded presentation / podcast on a defined task||Week 12||n/a||Graded||No||
|Class Test: Listening comprehension (MCQs richtig/falsch, filling in gaps etc.)||Week 7||n/a||Graded||No||
|Resit In||Terminal Exam|
|Autumn||Yes - 2 Hour|
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
• Group/class feedback, post-assessment
• Online automated feedback
• Peer review activities
• Self-assessment activities
All submitted homework will be corrected and returned with comments. The homework should then be corrected and resubmitted. Self- and peer-assessment according to agreed criteria will be carried out in class, and online grammar websites will be used with self-correction. The spoken German conversation classes will focus exclusively on the recorded presentation from week 9 onwards.
|Dr Jeanne Riou||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Ms Isabelle Jaekel||Tutor|
|Dr Sabine Strumper-Krobb||Tutor|