Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On successful completion of the module students will be able to
- employ new grammatical structures, vocabulary and expressions in order to produce concise and coherent written texts;
- summarise the main ideas of a text using one's own words;
- formulate in writing viewpoints on topical issues using appropriate vocabulary;
- understand and respond to audio and written material pitched at intermediate level;
- interact with an increasing degree of oral fluency and spontaneity on topics covered during the module;
- build in the feedback from regularly submitted homework and acquire a heightened ability to self-correct.
The module is divided into 3 blocks, each block dealing with the topics and associated grammatical points in selected chapters of "Mittelpunkt neu B2.1". All 4 skills (reading, writing, listening and speaking) will be practised. Grammar points will be introduced via short recorded presentations.
Assessment involves regular homework, an online test (comprehension and grammar), an oral exam simulating a job interview, and a written assignment around the topic of work.
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Specified Learning Activities||
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Students who have not completed level 1 German-language modules must contact the module co-ordinator.
Standard of German equivalent to level B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Continuous Assessment: Homework: stipulated minimum number of homeworks submitted at the designated time.||Throughout the Trimester||n/a||Graded||No||
|Assignment: Written assignment on topic of work, summarising a selected text and giving personal opinion to set questions. This will link up with the oral exam (simulated job interview).||Coursework (End of Trimester)||n/a||Graded||No||
|Oral Examination: Roleplay (job interview for one of three job adverts distributed in advance), including CV.
To take place in the virtual classroom during Mon/Wed class times in week 12, including Wed. 17:00.
|Class Test: Online class test in Monday of week 7: reading comprehension (MCQs, matching etc.) and grammar gap test.||Week 7||n/a||Graded||No||
|Resit In||Terminal Exam|
|Spring||Yes - 2 Hour|
• Feedback individually to students, on an activity or draft prior to summative assessment
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
• Group/class feedback, post-assessment
• Online automated feedback
• Peer review activities
• Self-assessment activities
All submitted homework on time (via Brightspace) will be corrected and returned with comments. It may be corrected and resubmitted. Self- and peer-assessment according to agreed criteria will be carried out periodically in class. Websites with self-correcting grammar exercises will be recommended. The spoken German classes will deal with other topical issues, include pronunciation work, and increasingly lead up to the oral exam.
|Dr Jeanne Riou||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Ms Isabelle Jaekel||Tutor|
|Ms Ruth Lockhart||Tutor|