Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On completion of this module students should be able to:
1) Critically assess the methods used to analyse the microbial component of an ecosystem.
2) Describe the concept of cycling in the global environment and critically assess the importance of microorganisms in mediating cycling processes.
3) Describe microbial diversity in extreme environments and the application of these organisms for the production of useful compounds.
4) Identify microorganisms associated with water borne disease and evaluate methods used for the microbiological testing of water.
5) Describe the role of microorganisms in waste treatment systems and identify appropriate treatment processes for different waste material.
6) Explain the factors affecting microbial degradation of compounds in the environment.
7) Evaluate and interpret data from experiments and report in an appropriate manner.
8) Perform a range of laboratory procedures associated with analysing environmental microorganisms in a competent manner.
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Specified Learning Activities||
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Students should have successfully completed appropriate level 1 courses in biology and chemistry, and ideally have completed a level 2 course in microbiology.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Assignment: Assigment based on course material||Week 4||n/a||Graded||No||
|Assignment: Assignment based on course work||Week 7||n/a||Graded||No||
|Continuous Assessment: Based on lab reports||Varies over the Trimester||n/a||Graded||No||
|Examination: 1h exam comprising MCQs and short answer questions||Week 10||No||Graded||No||
|Attendance: Attendance and engagement at lectures and workshop sessions||Throughout the Trimester||n/a||Graded||No||
|Remediation Type||Remediation Timing|
|In-Module Resit||Prior to relevant Programme Exam Board|
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
• Group/class feedback, post-assessment
Class feedback on assignment 1 once submitted Individual feedback on assignment 1 in the form of comments on corrected assignment Class feedback on assignment 2 once submitted Individual feedback on assignment 2 in the form of comments on corrected assignment Individual feedback on lab reports
|Ms Tamsin Lyons||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Dr Sean Storey||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24||Thurs 12:00 - 12:50||Face to Face|
|External & School Exams||Offering 1||Week(s) - 27||Thurs 12:00 - 12:50||Face to Face|
|Workshop||Offering 1||Week(s) - 18, 19, 22||Tues 11:00 - 11:50||Face to Face|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 20, 21, 23, 24||Tues 11:00 - 11:50||Face to Face|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 18, 19, 22, 23, 24||Wed 14:00 - 14:50||Face to Face|
|Workshop||Offering 1||Week(s) - 20, 21||Wed 14:00 - 14:50||Face to Face|
|Laboratory||Offering 1||Week(s) - 20, 21, 22, 23, 24||Wed 15:00 - 17:50||Face to Face|