Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On completion of the module students will be familiar with selected performances of leading avant-garde theatre makers and performance artists of the twentieth century.
Students will be able to:
Reflect on and analyse critically selected performances.
Discuss avant-garde performances with recourse to theoretical frameworks of space, audiences and bodies.
Contextualise avant-garde performances within relevant socio-cultural contexts and within key twentieth century performance practices.
1. Introduction to Module
2. Contexts for 20th Century Avant-Garde Theatre: Antonin Artaud's 'Theatre of Cruelty'
3. Bertholt Brecht's Theatre for Social Change
4. John Cage & Merce Cunningham: Neo Avant-Garde 'Chance Procedure'
5. Jerzy Grotowski: Performance as Religion
6. Happenings & Environmental Theatre
7. Eugenio Barba's Odin Teatret: Intercultural Theatre
8. Yvonne Rainer: Manifesto Theatre: 'No To Spectacle'
9. Robert Wilson: Theatre of Image
10. Societas Raffello Santos: Tragedies of the Future?
11. Course Review and Essay Preparation
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Not applicable to this module.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Assignment: Mid-term Assignment
The mid-term is a critical report on a live performance of theatre attended by each student.
|Essay: End of Term Essay||Coursework (End of Trimester)||n/a||Graded||No||
|Continuous Assessment: Contribution to Small Group Teaching classes and the submission in advance of class of up to 3 points on required reading /task for each SGT.||Throughout the Trimester||n/a||Graded||No||
|Resit In||Terminal Exam|
• Feedback individually to students, on an activity or draft prior to summative assessment
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
Feedback is offered to students within two weeks of the submission of the mid-term Critical Report on Performance assignment. Essay preparation meetings with teaching staff is offered in weeks 11 or 12. Feedback is offered to Essay end of term submission post-assessment.
|Dr Emma Bennett||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Professor Jen Harvie||Subject Extern Examiner|
|Ms Clara Mallon||Tutor|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Tues 14:00 - 14:50|
|Small Group||Offering 1||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Tues 15:00 - 15:50|
|Small Group||Offering 2||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Wed 10:00 - 10:50|
|Small Group||Offering 3||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Thurs 10:00 - 10:50|
|Small Group||Offering 4||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Thurs 11:00 - 11:50|
|Small Group||Offering 5||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Wed 10:00 - 10:50|
|Small Group||Offering 6||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Wed 12:00 - 12:50|