Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On completion of this module students should be able to:
• Explain the main biochemical causes of disease,
• Through specific examples, explain the molecular basis of bacterial- and viral-mediated disease.
• Describe our current knowledge of various Neurodegenerative diseases and of the more prevalent diabetes, cardiovascular disease and cancer.
• Having completed the course, the student should be able to explain the approaches that can be exploited for the treatment of that disease.
The main modes of indicative learning on this module will be:
A laboratory component involving 4 lab practicals and submission of written reports;
Practical Problem Solving;
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Specified Learning Activities||
|Autonomous Student Learning||
It is recommended that students taking this module will have successfully completed BMOL20090, or other modules with equivalent learning outcomes.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Continuous Assessment: Practical write-ups/reports/MCQ||Varies over the Trimester||n/a||Standard conversion grade scale 40%||No||
|Examination: Written exam, duration 2 hr||2 hour End of Trimester Exam||No||Standard conversion grade scale 40%||No||
|Resit In||Terminal Exam|
|Autumn||Yes - 2 Hour|
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
In the event that a student has a query in respect of their performance in the module assessment, he/she should contact the MC who, in turn, will provide a written comment or meet the student in person at an agreed time and date.
|Dr Derek Costello||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Dr Jennifer Mitchell||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Ms Mary O'Brien||Tutor|
|Dr Joan Simon||Tutor|
|Dr Heather Wood||Tutor|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 29, 31, 33||Mon 13:00 - 13:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 30||Mon 13:00 - 13:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - Spring: All Weeks||Wed 13:00 - 13:50|
|Laboratory||Offering 1||Week(s) - 22, 24, 26, 30, 32||Tues 10:00 - 12:50|
|Laboratory||Offering 2||Week(s) - 22, 24, 26, 30, 32||Fri 10:00 - 12:50|